Wednesday, July 29, 2020

HSPU Program Session 30

Prepare
Side to side squat with stretch

Practice
L-Sit progression practice from tutorial - 3 sets of 5-10 sec.

Circuit 1 - 3 rounds with about 2 min. rest between rounds:
Top Position Single Straight Leg Raise on Rings - 3-5 reps
Dip Shrugs - 7-10 reps

Circuit 2 - 3 rounds with about 2 min. rest between rounds:
Front Scale Leg Lift with 3 sec. hold at L position - 3-5 reps
Top Position Hold on Rings - about 15 sec.

Single Leg Deadlift w/ 16kg KB - 4-6 reps/leg for 3 sets and 1 min. rest

Play
Messing with Hunter Squat (no weight) from Mark Wildman video

Push
Two-Arm Swing w/ 32kg KB - 10 reps - 2 sets
Two-Arm Swing w/ 24kg KB - 10 reps - 3 sets

Ponder
Mindful Mover's argument about L-Sit not needing to be trained because the Pike Pull Through can deliver that skill for free, as well as progress towards Planche is still stuck in my head.  However, I believe the Pike Pull Through and/or the modified Arch Pullup caused my shoulder re-subluxate so I can't practice the Pike Pull Through right now.  In the time it would take to build up my forward pressing strength so that my shoulder could tolerate the Pike Pull Through, I could put in weeks or months of productive training towards the L-Sit, and also improve my shoulder strength and pressing strength in both the overhead and forward directions at the same time.  I'll try the Pike Pull Through again after I've worked up the pushup progression to the Hollow Body Pushup, and I'm able to perform the Hollow Body Pushup with high Quality and Ease scores.

First time I tried Single Straight Leg Raises.  I'll have to take a video to make sure but I do seem to be raising the straight leg into proper L position.  The tutorial isn't clear about what my non-working leg should be doing.  The movement is harder with the non-working leg tucked, than with the non working leg hanging.  Overall my recovering shoulder felt pretty good during today's training.  I'll probably continue this routine for my lower body training days, changing it up so that the Dip Shrugs and Top Position Holds are on my upper body training day. 

Another idea from Mindful Mover is relying on weighted exercise rather than bodyweight for lower body strength.  When my shoulder is feeling 100% again, I'm thinking of switching to ketttlebell-based training for the lower body. 

A few weeks ago I restructured my program to a 4-day upper body/lower body split.  Seems like Mark Wildman thinks similarly.  I started watching his video series on kettlebell program design.



The upper-body half of my program is unlikely to change much because the objective is quite clear - to achieve the freestanding Handstand Pushup.  A secondary objective is to achieve the main objective while keeping the shoulders healthy.

The lower-body half is what is in flux.  Lately I've been working towards the L-Sit again because it's a skill that must be acquired before I can progress further than a certain point in Rings One or Parallettes One.  After my shoulder is back to 100%, I may drop the L-Sit stuff again in favor of pursuing Mark Wildman's Deck Squat exercises, which all look pretty tough on the abs.  For the legs, I think the Single-Leg Deadlift is a keeper - I like what its doing for my hamstrings and foot intrinsics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment