Saturday, July 04, 2020

HSPU Program Session 14

Prepare
GMB Mobility session on Sidebending and Rotation, except for the Play section
GMB Vitamin session revisiting Forward Roll - Prepare section only.

Practice
Rest of GMB Vitamin session

Play
One set of Top Position Knee Raises on rings, just to see how far I could bring my hips forward and up to bring my knees closer to my face.

Couple of attempts to press into full Back Bridge then lift one foot for the advanced exercise shown in the advanced level Elements Core Conditioning circuit.  I don't have the strength yet.

Ponder
Mobility improved since last forward roll session in Vitamin. Still need to improve mobility in hamstrings, back of shoulders or upper back, maybe some other areas.

I revisited the GMB Fitness Instagram post on a hanging leg raise progression.  That's where I got the idea to try raising the knees towards my face.  Later on when I'm able to do a set of knee raises to my face, from the top position on rings, with good movement quality and ease, I can try a knee raise to the face, then straighten the legs and do a negative straight leg raise.

I searched good ol Youtube for ideas for improving hamstring flexibility, other than the ones I've already seen.   I got some ideas from Tom Merrick's videos:



I came across this video featuring Daniel of FitnessFAQs and Gabo of Saturno Movement, which is all about strengthening hip flexors to "kill 2 birds with one stone" - strengthen the hip flexors and lengthen the hamstrings.


I stumbled upon this video of how an "average guy" achieved his first handstand.  Before he began his pursuit of the handstand, he was already into climbing and had good pulling strength, so I'm not sure how "average" his fitness level actually was.  However, he came to the same conclusion that I did - that for optimal use of one's training time, it is preferable to achieve a certain level of upper body pressing strength before beginning handstand training, otherwise the road to the handstand will be much, much longer. 


This older GMB video shows what looks like possible alternatives to the chest stretches presented in the GMB Handstand Prepare routine and the GMB Shoulder Mobility routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment