Thursday, July 16, 2020

HSPU Program Session 23

New exercise today - it's the Reverse Plank.  In this video, Daniel of FitnessFAQs claims it will not only fix rounded shoulders, but also improve shoulder stability (my main shoulder problem) and mobility:



Prepare
The two band exercises from the video.
Reverse Plank (Seated variation) - 10 reps, 3 sets - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Relaxed

Practice
Main circuit 
Turkish Get Up w. 16kg KB - 1 rep/side - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid
Incline Pushup on stair landing - 4-6 reps - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid
Reverse Row Sit Back - 6-7 reps - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid
3 rounds with 2-3 minutes of rest in between rounds

Modified Pigeon, Half Pancake

Push
Standard Bear for 1 min.

Brachial Hang for about 1min.

Play
Shoulder traction with band attached to stairs.

Ponder
I continue to feel the impingement/subluxation pain in my shoulder so I thought it'd be best to tone down the volume and train around the shoulder pain instead of risking making it worse.

Kettlebell Turkish Get Up had a near magical positive effect on my shoulder before so it's back in the exercise lineup.
The Incline Pushup is a regression in the sense that it seemed it might be less risky for my shoulder than any exercise in the Inverted Press progression.  At least, less risky than the Bent-Arm Bear, although oddly enough the A-Frame Inverted Press seemed just fine for my shoulder compared to Bent-Arm Bear.
Reverse Row Sit Back is a regression from Reverse Row w/ feet on chair.  I remember some kind of rowing exercise being part of my shoulder physical therapy before.

This video presents two ab exercises that I will try tomorrow - the ring rollout and the ring bird dog.  A major selling point of the ring rollout is that Daniel claims it will be friendly to shoulders.  I tested the "bird dog" position with my shoulder by putting my feet on the couch and putting my hands on the floor with straight arms.  The shoulders seem to feel fine.


This video is more for future consideration than trying anytime soon, due to my current shoulder situation.  Here Daniel says that scapular control is keep for advanced bodyweight exercises and presents some exercises to improve scapular control.


No comments:

Post a Comment