Friday, June 12, 2020

Crow Pose Program Session 19

Prepare
Today's GMB Mobility session focusing on Flexion.

Wow, this was the last GMB Mobility session!  Even though I did a session almost every day, missing only one day within the last 4 weeks, the 42 sessions still went by so fast.

Practice
P1 Level A Week 2 Day 3 session

Play
2 sets of 20 sec. Waiter Walks with 16kg kettlebell

Push
First 3 exercises from GMB Foot routine standing - gives the supporting foot a workout too!

Ponder
GMB Mobility results:

Shoulders - There weren't that many sessions focusing on shoulders.  However, when I reach my arms overhead, I seem to be able to get them a few degrees closer to vertical than before..

Spine - Backbending seems improved.  Sidebending seems about the same as before.  I might go back to practicing the Half-Pancake with the thumb of my non-stretching arm tucked behind my folded knee to give myself better leverage to pull my torso to the one side before sidebending to the other side.

Hips - I was always comfortable with the deep squat.  The biggest improvement was to the outside hips.

Legs - Hamstring seem a little less tight but we'll see.  I've seen some Youtube fitness personalities like FitnessFAQs arguing that hamstring stretching is not necessary if the hip flexors are strong enough.  My main motivation for improving hamstring flexibility is to improve my chances of achieving a full L-Sit.

P1 Assessment - This time I just followed the P1 exercises as originally programmed.:

Plank Pushups from Knees - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid.
No issues with the shoulders this time.

Front Dips - Quality: Smooth,  Ease: Relaxed.
Need to work on squeezing core at the bottom and not allowing my shoulders to shrug

Plank Hold - Quality: Smooth. Ease: Challenging.
Did not make it all the way to a minute.  45 seconds/set would be a good setting to work at.

Tuck Hold - Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid
45 seconds per set is a good time with alternating legs, with one leg in high tuck (knee close to chest, heels close to butt) and the other leg with toe on floor.

Mountain Climbers - Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid

GMB recently published an article on training with loaded carries.   It seems to be more of an article promoting the addition of loaded carries to your training routine and offering some ideas, rather than a set how-to article.  It gives props to Dan John, who everyone seems to credit with bring the loaded carries training concept to the mainstream, so I read Dan John's loaded carries article as well.  GMB suggests a heavy load in short bursts for strength-focused sessions, and light load with"complex" carry for skill-focused sessions.  Waiter Walks seems to match the "complex" description.

P1 does not seem as much of a threat to my shoulders but it seems like Waiter Walks with a kettlebell would be nice insurance for my shoulders.  Thus I did the 2 sessions of 20-second Waiter Walks.

Planning for tomorrow:

Ok, no more GMB Mobility sessions, though I can always revisit any GMB Mobility session any time thanks to their new Praxis system.  I think what I will do is pull up the last GMB Mobility session for Rotation & Sidebending, use the Prepare session from that, then work through the full GMB Spine Mobility routine, which has much longer hold times than the GMB Mobility stretches in the Practice section.

Then I'll play with the Forward Roll again and see if there's any improvement on my tighter side, where the tightness is causing me to fall over to the side.

Then I'll do the GMB Knee Mobility routine - minus the jump at the end,  followed by the GMB Vitamin session focusing on jumps.  The jumps landing on single leg look to be a challenge for my knees, so I better get them prepped first.

Then if my core is up to it, I'll do at least one round of the Elements Core Conditioning Routine, working in Shrimp Squat practice as part of the circuit.  If not, I'll just do the 4 sets of shrimp squats.

Then I'll do a couple of 1-min. sets of GMB-style Crow Pose practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment