Saturday, June 06, 2020

Crow Pose Program Session 13

Prepare
Today's GMB Mobility session focusing on Spine Extension.

During Camel practice, I was starting to gaze enough to the back of me that I had to remind myself to keep the arms vertical and pushing against my heels, and keep pushing the hips forward.

Practice
Crow Pose from face down - first comparing the feeling of most weight being on the toes vs. most of it being on forehead, then trying to even out the weight distribution.  Then, playing with pointing the toes off the ground, then looking up.  Maximum Crow Pose hold was 14 seconds.

Play
Remembered that Scott Sonnon once stated that you should be comfortable with the Arm Screw mobility movement before attempting the Forward Roll, which was part of his BodyFlow exercise video and book.   Incorporating the Arm Screw resulted in a dramatic improvement in shoulder comfort during the Forward Roll setup.  Unfortunately I was unable to find a good Youtube video.  You have to shrug your shoulder before you can screw out the arm - it makes a big difference in the mobility.

Push
P1 Level A Week 1 Day 3 session

Ponder
P1 Assessment - won't record reps anymore, in keeping with GMB's updated self-assessment method that emphasizes quality and ease of movement over reps:

Plank Side to Sides - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Challenging
This was harder than it looks in the video

Assisted Shoulder Stand Raises  - Quality: Rough, Ease: Kind of Solid
I never tried this movement before because I was working at Level B before, so the performance was rough as I was trying to get the hang of the movement.  My feet were starting to float off the floor so the effort I had to expend wasn't that high.  I resisted the temptation to go into shoulder stand right away because I've done it before, but I thought I'd better just keep working at this level.

Jump Throughs - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid
This is much easier than the Level B version, which requires you start with a full plank.  I still had to expend some effort to push down hard enough during the jump to control the movement, especially when transitioning from front to rear.

Inverted Press - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Challenging
Haven't practiced this movement in almost 2 years so it's a challenge now.

Swing Sets - Quality: Smooth, Ease: Solid
Seems like more a mobility exercise than a strength one, but after all the effort expended on the previous exercises, it's nice to just work on movement and give the hamstrings a bit of a stretch.

While looking for other video examples of the Arm Screw, I found the Onnit Academy channel.  I don't know who the fitness models are in the below videos, but the movements look very similar to the ones taught by RMax, of which the founders of GMB were once members, in BodyFlow and other resources.

This movement looks like a good exercise for improving mobility for the Forward Roll, with one leg straight to the side for the stability to make the movement easier to practice:

This looks like a good Arm Screw Warmup for the Forward Roll as well:


This movement looks a lot like the 1st step (setup) of the Forward Roll Progression in Vitamin:

This movement looks like the 2nd step of the Forward Roll progression in Vitamin:

Arm Line Flow Sequence:

No comments:

Post a Comment