Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Third session under new Crow Pose fitness program

Prepare
GMB Knee Health routine, then I used today's GMB Mobility session in its 15-minute entirety for Prepare.  Today's mobility focus was on Fundamentals.

Practice
1 min, 10 sec. Crow Pose practice sets for a total of 3 sets.  Barely got my face off the ground a couple of times.

Play
3 minutes of Bent-Arm Frogger with the minimum 1-second Crow Pose hold.   I landed a 14-second hold early, then managed a 11-second hold towards the end.

Push
2 minutes of Bent-Arm Monkey.  Shoulder still held up ok.

3 sets of 5-6 reps of Back Leg Elevated Lunge to try to strengthen quads for knee health.

Vitamin session focusing on a movement called Merry Go Round - joyful fun!

Sissy Squat practice spread through rest of afternoon.

Ponder
Reviewed the video of the Bent-Arm Monkey:


The next time I practice Bent-Arm Monkey, I should start with the first variation, which is just to place the hands on the ground in the diamond formation and load them.  Then I should practice the 2nd variation, which is the variation I practiced today, and work on being able to perform it more slowly like Chris does in the video.  In order to do it more slowly, I need to load more of my weight into my hands, to allow the toes to float over the ground.  Working this way should build the same kind of strength that is needed to lift the knees off of the elbow to play from the Crow Pose like this guy does here:



Starting to feel some muscle soreness in the shoulders from the Crow Pose training but not the kind of soreness to worry about.  What was more disappointing was how the left knee felt after trying out Back Leg Elevated Lunge and Sissy Squat.  It's possible these exercises put too much load on the quad for this knee, or something about the leverage on the knee is just off. 

For tomorrow I will try a reverse partial Turkish Getup.  The idea is to start in the standing position with the kettlebell supported overhead,  work through the movement down to the Tall Sit position, then work back up to standing position again.   This way, I can avoid the Prone to Elbow stage that was causing trouble to the knee in the first place and resume some progress in this movement through this partial practice.  Then in the afternoon, I will practice reverse lunge with the kettlebell racked, to hopefully strengthen the quads without further aggravating the knee, as well as improve performance in the Turkish Getup.

No comments:

Post a Comment