Saturday, May 30, 2020

Crow Pose Program Session 6

Prepare
Today's GMB Mobility session focusing on Hips.
Practice
Realized I forgot GMB Knee Mobility routine so I went through that.
Play
Today's GMB Vitamin session focusing a combination movement incorporating Forward Roll, Merry Go Round, and Backward Roll.  

Occasional play with Bent-Arm Monkey Variation 3 (hold a Crow Pose pause for at least 1 second), spread through the afternoon.
Push
Taking it easy today so no push.
Ponder
The Vitamin session was a hoot!  Because of my failure to nail the Forward Roll, I knew I had no chance of properly executing either version of today's combo move.  So I spent both Play sessions within Vitamin exploring the same level of the combo move.  One problem I've had with Forward Roll is the struggle to get the shoulder, neck, and head into the proper setup position for it.  But today, I discovered another issue - not being sure what side the legs need to pass by my extended arm.  I figured out that the legs pass on the opposite side of my head.

While reviewing Brett Jones' Windmill 101 article, I came across his other article on the Lock and Rock technique for identifying the ideal foot position for a deadlift or squat position.  My problematic left knee tends to ache when I get into a deep squat for the Monkey or Frogger.  I was surprised to find that my "ideal" foot position, per the Lock and Rock technique, calls for my feet being turned out even further.  I tried turning my feet out more and the knee ache went away!

Although this was supposed to be a sort of rest day, I couldn't resist the urge to try Bent-Arm Monkey Variation 3.  I realized that I could practice this more productively by entering into Crow Pose slowly, and thus slowly bringing my weight forward, as the weight on my toes decreases, until the feet start to float.  I was thus about to achieve a new personal record in the Crow Pose - 16 seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment