Sunday, May 24, 2020

First session under new Crow Pose fitness program

Today was the first session under the new program to build towards a solid Crow Pose, inspired by GMB's 5P framework.  Here are my comments on each of the 5Ps for today:

Prepare
I used today's GMB Mobility session in its 15-minute entirety for Prepare.  Today's mobility focus was on Hips, which is suitable enough for the Crow Pose.

Practice
1 min, 10 sec. Crow Pose practice sets for a total of 3 sets. The extra 10 seconds is to account for the gradual, back and forth movements as depicted in the Crow Pose tutorial.  For a first session mostly dedicated to Crow Pose, three sets felt like enough, as I was taking breaks during the 2nd and 3rd sets.

Play
3 minutes of Bent-Arm Frogger with the minimum 1-second Crow Pose hold.  I was surprised to be able sustain holds of 5 seconds or more in the Crow Pose, with a maximum hold around 15 seconds.

Push
This doesn't really count as a Push section specific to Crow Pose.  I just wanted to continue progress through GMB Vitamin.  Today's 15-min. Vitamin session focused on the Plow pose.  My spine was already getting some flexion from Crow Pose training and this took it up a notch.  The session called for more than 3 min. of practice of each of the following:  Plow Setup, Sink Knees into Plow, Work into Full Plow.  My hamstrings have always been tight, though slightly loosened by kettlebell swings and GMB Mobility but I also had tightness in the upper back and back of the hips..

Ponder
Basically it's working on this blog post.  For tomorrow, I'll keep the Practice portion as it is, and add 2 min. of Bent Arm Monkey to the Play section.

No comments:

Post a Comment