Thursday, May 21, 2020

Front and Back Scale for the knee, and progress in the Turkish Getup

I haven't been allowing my bent leg to move very much during the Turkish Getup.  I think this is why I'm starting to feel some soreness in my knee, where I suffered an MCL strain years go.  I'm letting the knee collapse inward too much.

I've started practicing GMB's Knee Mobility routine to help recover.  I've also started practicing the Front and Back Scales to try to strengthen the knee and hopefully improve the alignment between the hip, knee, and foot to make it less susceptible to collapsing inward.  At first I was feeling the hip flexor work hard in the Front Scale leg lift, but lately I've been feeling more intense quadriceps contraction and not so much hip flexor work.  The knee health article recommends anything that will strengthen the quads to go with the mobility routine.  I looked into the pistol squat first, but the questionable alignment between the hip, knee, and foot seems to aggravate the knee in that movement.  The scale exercises are probably a better choice for me since they not only work the quads and balance but also apply a bit more directly towards the L-Sit, a feat which has long eluded me.

I finally did 3 Turkish Getup (TGU) singles per side in one session of Simple & Sinister.  Just one TGU was burning out my CNS just a few weeks ago.  I'm working more often with the 32kg kettlebell for 2-handed swings.

No comments:

Post a Comment