Saturday, February 20, 2016

My fate for the next 4-6 weeks

The doctor found no new damage to the retina, so I have been spared yet another emergency surgery and subsequent 1-month recovery period.  He did find a cataract as a result of the gas bubble making contact with the lens, which was unavoidable because he wanted me to sleep on my right side to make the bubble act as a splint on the retina holes that he repaired on the left side of the eye.  He wants to see me in about a month, presumably to make sure the retina is still fine as well as evaluate the cataract.  Right now, I do have blurry vision in my right eye, but it's hard to tell if its because of the newly repaired and still-healing retina, the gas bubble, or the cataract.  Presumably in a month he will know more about what the cataract will have done to my vision, which in turn will help him make recommendations.  He thinks that cataract surgery may be elective - meaning it won't be an emergency surgery and thus I'll be able to "elect" to put it off for months or even years.  But we'll know more in a month.

Although vision in my right eye is far from perfect, I do have enough peripheral vision to feel comfortable driving for short distances, and just being out and about in general.  The doctor said I don't have to maintain face-down position anymore, because the bubble has gotten small enough that there's nothing I can do affect the cataract or the retina healing.  He also said that while I should still refrain from riding airplanes or otherwise sorely testing the interocular pressure of my eye, I can do pistol squats again.

Despite the news about the cataract, I'm very happy to not have to spend another month at home recuperating from yet another surgery.

Today I was scheduled for Elements Week 6, Day 2 but I walked around a lot doing some shopping then spent a fair amount of effort chopping branches blocking my car with a newly purchased machete.  So I'll do Day 2 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment