Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Jazz rhythm lesson for violin

Someday I will play the viola and electric violin again.  It's just a matter of when my retina will cooperate so I can escape this cycle of surgery, recovery, followup surgery, recovery, etc. so I that I don't have to keep the face down position all the time.

In anticipation of that, here is a rhythm lesson I found on the Jazz Violin Facebook group.  The exercises remind me of some bowing rhythm exercises in one or more of the Essential Elements book series for viola, but with more emphasis on swing feel.  I confess I have not worked on ghost notes in my viola bowing when fooling around with jazz phrases.   I will address that when I am able to practice on viola again.

As a bonus, one can also practice French comprehension as the teacher is Eva Slongo, though subtitles are provided:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSVBgmmASY


No comments:

Post a Comment