Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Chest Expander Workout 7/31

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - 2 sets - 3 springs - Did 12+ reps with relative ease

Overhand Vertical Pullapart - 2 sets - 3 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - 1 set, followed by mechanical drop set of Underhand Vertical Pullapart - 2 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - 1 backoff set w/ 1 spring - This was too easy so I might just repeat the set + mechanical drop set next time.

Back Press - 2 sets - 4 springs - Stopped first set at 12 reps, thinking I'd bank reps for the 2nd set.

Sideway (Tricep) Extension - 2 sets - 3 springs

Overhead Tricep Extension - 1 set - 1 spring - Felt light, but managed less than 10 reps per arm.

Reverse Curl - 1 set - 3 springs

Reverse Curl - 1 back off set - 2 springs

Deltoid Raise (scapular plane/Y raise) - 1 set - 2 springs

Deltoid Raise (scapular plane/Y raise) - 1 back off set - 1 springs

I decided to drop the regular Bicep Curl from this routine for the remainder of this chest expander focused hypertrophy training block. I believe the best medicine for the affected areas of my elbows at this time is rest.

I did the Underhand Vertical Pullapart sets before doing the Overhand Vertical Pullapart sets. The UVP sets did not appear to have any kind of pre-exhaust effect on my OVP performance.
Alex Leonidas says in his chest expander videos that a high volume program is not necessary or even desirable with the chest expander, which implies that the more usual rules of exercise programming that apply to lifting weights or calisthenics may not apply to chest expander training. I stopped my first Back Press at 12 reps because 2 sets of 12 reps is one of Leonidas' suggestions for knowing when it's time to add a spring; and because I thought maybe Red Delta Project's rep backfill strategy would apply here. However I think maybe I should have continued that first set up to failure instead of stopping at 12. If we are generally doing only 2 sets per exercise on the chest expander, maybe we should go to failure on both sets to stimulate the most muscle gains we can get from that one workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment