Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Easy Muscle Results

My pullup and dip repetition maxes at the start of the program were well short of the recommended number. The consequence was not being able to perform a set without having to pause to take a break, before resuming. This in turn led to not being able to do a desirable volume (reps x sets x load) for stimulating muscle mass gains.

I chose the 24kg KB Clean + Push Press option because I wanted to see what gains I would get with this option, combined with the 2 calisthenic exercises per Schedule B.

Tape measurement showed about 1/4" increase in arm circumference and 1/2" increase in chest/lat circumference. Perhaps the gains might have been greater if I had higher pullup and dip rep maxes at the start of the program. Despite that I'm satisfied with the hypertrophy.

I tried to press the 24kg KB but could not press it past the midpoint. Clean + Push Press works the triceps and traps more than the deltoids, because the use of the lower body to launch the KB upward eliminates the work that would have been done by the chest and delts. During this training block, I tried to actively "pull" the KB down on the eccentric to try to increase my KB pressing strength. However, one training block of this combination of C + PP and "active eccentric" was not enough. That said, this is another opportunity to try using 6x6 training on the IsoMax to increase my force output (strength) to a high enough level for a complete 24kg KB press.

I tested my double 16kg KB Clean + Press. I was able to do 8 reps. The 16kg KBs felt light in my hands after 8 weeks of training with the 24kg. Pressing double 16kg KBs took little effort for my upper body. My lower body fatigued more quickly than my upper body. I was able to lock out both arms on the double press, which I took as a sign of improved mobility compared to last year, when I couldn't lock out the arms. There is still room for mobility improvement in that I still have an arch in my upper back at the top of the press.

I could have, and probably should have, done this Easy Muscle training block on Schedule A with a single 16kg KB. I didn't have the mobility to work with double 16kg KBs. I think my rep max with a single 16kg KB would have been ideal per program guidelines. However I don't regret the choices I made for this training block, because I just had to satisfy my curiosity regarding training the 24kg KB C+PP. Also, I was itching to do pullups and dips again.

My next training block will focus on strength, with 6x6 on the IsoMax once again being the program of choice.

After that will be my next hypertrophy training block. What I will do for that training block will be determined by the results of re-testing my rep maxes with the single 24kg KB and double 16kg C+P:
  1. 24kg C+P 4-6 reps. Program: Easy Muscle Schedule B with single 24kg KB
  2. 24kg C+P 0-3 reps and double 16kg C+P 8-12 reps. Program: Easy Muscle Schedule A with double 16kg KBs.
  3. 24kg C+P 0-3 reps and double 16kg C+P 13+ reps. Program: Chest Expander routine. In this case, I'm not strong enough for option 1 and too strong for option 2, so I think it might be fun to devote a 6-8 week training block to chest expander training and see what strength and muscle gains might be had from it.



I might do my next Easy Muscle training block on Schedule A with double 16kg KBs, unless my rep max turns out to be 15 or higher. I'm also going attempt to press the 24kg KB again, depending on how I progress in my 6x6 training block. If by the time I test for my next Easy Muscle block, I have a rep max of 12 on the double 16kg C+P and a rep max of 2 on the single 24kg C+P, I'd go with the double 16kg KBs. If however I have a rep max of 17 or something like that on the double 16kg C+Ps but I still can't press the 24kg C+P, I might go with Schedule B with the 24kg C+PP and calisthenics again again... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment