Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Isochain 6x6: Week 7 1-rep Max Testing

Results in pounds:

Zercher Squat - 189.0666

Another big jump in the Zercher Squat. Part of it has been allowing my elbows to be in contact with the insides of my thighs, which probably introduced a leverage advantage.

Shoulder Press - 64.4666
Only about a 2 pound improvement over the previous 1RM test, but it's enough to increase my target load from 44 lbs. to 45.

Seated Row - 145.7333

This is a drop from the previous 1RM of 159.4, but I mixed up my Zercher Squat and Seated Row scores during the previous 1RM. This time I'm confident there's no confusion. Working at a higher target load due to the mixed up number didn't seem to hurt, but I think it'll be good to be follow the proper protocol again.

I then did some test reps of the overhead press with single 16kg kettlebell, then double KBs. The shoulder wasn't entirely pain free, but it was a slight, dull pain rather than a sharp sensation. I did not have the mobility to achieve full lockout on the double-KB press, so I felt even less pain in the shoulder. I was hoping to gain the mobility for full lockout via the mobility exercises I've been doing, but for hypertrophy training under Easy Muscle, not having full lockout will probably be ok. I was not able to do full ROM chinups the first time I worked through Easy Muscle, yet I still recorded hypertrophy gains. So while full ROM would probably deliver the most gain in muscle size, partial ROM will still deliver gains.

I then practiced another GMB Mobility session, which focused on the hips, then did the Rib Grab and Brettzel stretches to keep working on the mobility for double-KB press. I also tried to hang from rings, which is the most obvious stretch for improving mobility for lockout in the double-KB press, but the shoulder was still not feeling good enough for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment