Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Shoulder Extension Improvement Exercise

Useful video to help shoulder pain sufferers identify if the issue might be impingement or AC joint.


 From an email sent by Eric Wong:

The technique I'm sharing with you today is also targeted to improve shoulder extension, but it's completely safe. It works by building muscular strength in that range, resulting in lasting mobility gains vs. static stretching, whose gains can quickly subside (if you don't pull something first). 


I tried the exercise.  My shoulders felt pretty good.

I then tried the YTWL scapular exercises taught by FitnessFAQs. There are other versions of the YTWL taught by other instructors, but I like Daniel Vadnal's version because you can just do them on the ground.  You don't need a stability ball or a bench like the other versions, and you don't need dumbbells.  Looks like the reason Vadnal's method does not require a bench or stability ball is the need for either item is eliminated, when lying face down on the ground, by the posterior tilt of the pelvis.  It really is important to set the scapula first before lifting the arms.  I find using the "suit", as trained in 6H practice, helps here, although introducing localized tension between the shoulder blades sort of violates the relaxed whole body concept of 6H.

The benefits of YTWL as outlined by Vadnal:
  • Improved Scapular Stability and Control
  • Improved Rotator Cuff function
My scapular control needs improvement.  I believe not having the greatest scapular control has contributed to repeat injury to my shoulder.   I tried to address this in the Monday session by adding scapular pulls after every set of pullups.  However, I think these YTWL exercises will be a better solution because I'll be able to focus on scapular control without the additional stress of a regular strength exercise.  I will probably practice this routine on my non-training days.


Pondering tomorrow's upper body training, my plan is to cut the sets of Inverted Press (pike pushup) and pullups to 3 each, and practice the pullups and incline pushups on rings.  The pushups will be paired with Arc Rows, which is a variation of the Reverse Row designed for progressing towards the Front Lever.   I could probably still do Tuck Front Lever rows, but why subject my still recovering shoulder to unnecessary risk?




View this post on Instagram

#StrengthSundayMM: Arc Rows . A great beginner progression to achieving the Front Lever Row is the Accommodating Resistance Arc Row! Here’s how to do it! . Step One: Grab the rings and walk your feet forward. The MORE parallel you are to the ground, the HARDER the movement becomes. Use that to adjust based on your strength levels . Step Two: Push the rings DOWN with straight arm, THEN drive the elbows back like you want to ELBOW someone in the gut. Try to make sure the rings touch your abdomen . Step Three: As you lower down, push the rings DOWN towards your legs. This will decrease the leverage and make the eccentric harder . These are a GREAT progression for developing your Front Lever Row since you can adjust the difficulty BEFORE you start (using the foot placement) AND adjust it mid-rep to make the resistance accommodating. . Give it a try and get aboard the Gain Train! And check the IG stories to see more!
A post shared by Martina & Philip Chubb (@the_mindful_mover) on

If I'm up for it, I'll also do 3 sets of Hanging Leg Raises on the rings if my shoulder allows, then finish off with 2 min. of pike handstand practice

No comments:

Post a Comment