Saturday, August 08, 2020

Active Recovery Day: Exercise research

Active recovery day today.

After seeing a discussion of pullup exercise with slow eccentrics, I watched one of the FitnessFAQs pullup videos and saw that Daniel Vadnal recommended an 8-second eccentric.  Then I found a video he did with Gabo Saturno, which present some exercises for improving pullup performance.  I tried the wall side and it was a no-go for me.  I just don't have the shoulder flexibility to keep the forearms in contact with the wall in the starting position, while also maintaining low-back contact with the wall.  Based on a glance at the Youtube comments, a lot of other people also struggled with the flexibility issue.



I then practiced the prone YTWL exercises as taught by Vadnal here, under the recommended guideline of 1-2 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps per set, 1 min. rest between sets.


It will be interesting to try the wall side again in the near future, to test if I'm making any flexibility gains from increasing my brachial hang session to 2 min. total, as well as improving scapula function and strength from practicing the YTWL exercise as well as the regular exercise routine.

Here Vadnal shows the wall slide again but now you can see he's not keeping the forearms strictly in contact with the wall.  In fact all we see of his arms in constant contact with the wall is the knuckles of his fists .


On a different note, I found this video on an exercise on improving toe touch. I'm more focused on improving hamstring flexibility. This exercise is all about bypassing the need for hamstring flexibility. It might be useful to try though in the future if I ever decide I want to improve my range of motion in the Jefferson Curl, without practicing the Jefferson Curl itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment