Sunday, May 08, 2005

Today's Training

The first rehearsal for the June concert is coming up on May 22 and I had yet to start practicing the chosen repertoire, which is entirely composed of selections from Handel's Messiah.

First, though, I warmed up by reviewing the beginner's program from Warrior Wellness, then started playing with selected drills, based on comfort level, from the intermediate program.

I then started practicing the Messiah selections, taking breaks as needed to try to abate the inevitable onset of shoulder soreness. My shoulder has recovered enough from the injury to tolerate short sessions of viola playing before it starts to get sore. During breaks from viola playing, I do any of the following: joint mobility drills such as those from Warrior Wellness, relaxation drills such as those on Fast And Loose, or shoulder stretching and traction using my Jumpstretch mini flexband. There are so many Messiah selections that I was not able to get to the last one in the music packet even though I spent the greater part of the day (including breaks) covering them.

I also combed the Sandow Plus website for online books on chest expander training/strand pulling for drills with my new Lifeline Chest Expanders that would be useful for my shoulder rehab. Noe's book in particular had some drills (eg. Shoulder Shimmy) not found in the other books. I also looked at the books by Bonomo, Danks, and Park. After evalutating each drill that I found with a light chest expander to see which I could do without pain and which I chould not, I began compiling a selection of drills for my rehab used. As I may have mentioned previously, I am a recent convert to training with elastic bands and cables due to their uniquely restorative properties for my shoulder. In other words, my shoulder almost always feels better after a session with these bands/cables. I do not intend to fully replace my freeweight deadlifts and ring training with these bands/cables, but they are an essential part of my personal physical culture for this reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment