Thursday, May 05, 2005

The breakdance video that inspired me to adopt gymnastic training

Check out this amazing breakdance video featuring Bboy Junior. This inspired some people to change their physical training and certainly inspired me to rethink mine. I originally started lifting weights because that's what I thought I had to do to be able to perform feats of athleticism and grace as exemplified by Bboy Junior, Olympic medal-winning gymnasts, Michael Jordan, John Jefferson, and so on. More specifically, I wanted to be able to do handstands, planches, circles, and flairs.

I recently realized that I could get closer to these goals by adopting gymnastic training methods, instead of waiting a few years to work up to a respectably heavy pressing weight. I learned that strength training can be specific, which is why you cannot take a bodybuilder to gymnastic equipment and expect him to perform immediately like the Hamm brothers.

I started my gymnastic pursuit with gymnastic rings. The official competition-level rings are expensive and can only be mounted from high ceilings. Fortunately, lower-cost rings are available and can be suspended from a tree limb, playground structure, rafter, etc. I ordered mine from here (check with Tyler first for availablility). I also got the Ring Training DVD for exercise ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment