Friday, November 05, 2021

Grind Style Calisthenics Month 1: Week 2

I continued the schedule of Workout #1 on Monday, Workout #2 on Wednesday, and Workout #3 on Friday.

Workout #1

For the Tension phase, the isometric pushup was still a struggle, just like last week. I cut all the extra abdominal work (isometric pulldown, planks, leg raise) from Workout #1.

Floor pushup strength sets: 6 6 6 6

My pushup reps per set doubled from last week. This might be delayed carry over from the work I did in the Isochain Burn Count program. I figured the carry over would not be immediate as the floor pushup, being a dynamic movement, required getting used to the movement pattern again, after spending so much time on static (isometric) exercise.
I didn't time the finisher pushups this time. I just did sets of RTO pushups, then regular incline pushups on the NOSSK, with some time wasted between sets messing around with the strap trying to find good lengths for the straps. Next time, I should set the straps at greater lengths - maybe with the handles at my knee height - and start RTO pushups in the bottom position.

Workout #2

For the Tension phase, a bent-over rows with Isochain was indeed more satifying than seated row with yoga strap and shirt or towel.
For the Stability phase, I found some nice ideas for playing with Crab Walk in this GMB post.
Tuck Front Lever Row strength sets: 4 5 5
Single Straight Leg Bridge sets: 8 8 8

Finisher rows on NOSSK: Not timed. Wasted time in similar fashion to the Finisher portion of Workout #1
Finisher Isochain Romanian Deadlift on link 2: 23s hold

Progress on Tuck Front Lever Row was slow when I worked on it last year. The reps were about the same as last week. I think any progress I make this time around will depend on work on the Finisher phase - both the movement practice itself and any hypertrophy I can get out of it.

Workout #3

My shoulder felt good for T-Planks as long as I did not try to bring up the arm to a 90 degree angle in relation to the torso. Unfortunately I once again forgot to do the Lateral Push Down as part of the Tension phase.
For the Stability phase, I'm thinking of working in some Monkey into the play session with the Shifting Squat. Some ideas for Monkey with tight hips/ankles in this GMB post.
Assisted Shrimp Squat strength sets: 8 8 8
Moving Side Plank strength sets: 4 4 4

Finisher Jump Lunge: Timeed up to 90s but forgot to record actual work time
Finisher Side Plank: 15s hold

Assisted Shrimp Squat improvement was not as dramatic as last week but I still progressed to 8-rep sets. I can finally try assisted elevated shrimp squats next week! The shoulder felt better for all side plank work, compared to last week, which is a big improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment