Friday, October 22, 2021

GSC Month 1 Program: Week 1

I followed the schedule of Workout #1 on Monday, Workout #2 on Wednesday, and Workout #3 on Friday.

Workout #1

For the Tension phase, the isometric pushup was a struggle as I had to spend extra time finding a good length on the yoga strap. My muscles started to fatigue before I could achieve a decent hold in this position. The isometric abdominal pulldown on the NOSSK suspension trainer was much easier to get into. The Stability phase was easier due to previous experience with GMB style locomotion exercises.

Floor pushup strength sets: 3 3 4
Strap Plank strength sets: 25s 25s 25s

At the start of my Burn Count routine, I was pleasantly surprised to find I could do 3 pushups on the floor, which is is an improvement over not being able to do any reps of this exercise last year. The majority of strength training, up until the start of my GSC training, was isometric exercise on the Isochain, with a few weeks of heavy club work. I had not done any direct pushup training other than wall pushups to warm up for Isochain Promethean and Burn Count workouts. So, I was hoping that several weeks of Isochain Burn Count would carry over to pushups. However, as can be seen, my pushup reps after Burn Count were the same as the start of Burn Count.
Finisher pushups on NOSSK: about 2:30 timed set
Finisher leg raise: about 50s timed set

I should have reviewed the video on RTO pushups, because in the bottom position, my hands were closer to my chest than to my waist. RTO pushups are what I want to practice, as I want to target the chest more, improve shoulder stability, and work towards planche pushups.

Workout #2

For the Tension phase, I tried using a shirt with the yoga strap for isometric row. It felt kind of awkward. Next time I will just use my Isochain for this, without using the Isochain sensor, because the goal here is to turn on the muscles, without exhausting your neuromuscular system so much that you compromise performance during the Strength phase. The isometric bridge was easier to get into.

My shoulder didn't feel good for reaching overhead, so instead of shifting pullups, I did shifting rows on the NOSSK. Crab Walk was fine due to previous experience in GMB's Elements program.

Tuck Front Lever Row strength sets: 4 4 5
Cross-Ankle Straight Leg Bridge set: 8
Single Straight Leg Bridge sets: 6 6

Finisher rows on NOSSK: about 3 min. timed set
Finisher Isochain Romanian Deadlift on link 2: 22s hold

As with the pushups, Isochain training did not seem to make me stronger at Tuck Front Lever Rows. I haven't done cross-ankle straight leg bridge or single-leg bridge for reps before so I don't know what impact, if any, Isochain work had on my performance on those movements. The 3 min. of finisher rows was mostly fumbling with the NOSSK trying to find a good length for them and good body position. I did find that suspension lat rows take more effort than regular - by GSC standards - rows, which have the hands closer to the chest in the top position. I also found that starting the row from the top position saves a lot of frustration, because when I started at bottom position, I often found I'd set the NOSSK to be either too short or too long. Next week, I'll start the Finisher Phase with lat rows, starting from top position, working towards a top position that is closer and closer to vertical, then switching to regular rows after my muscles get burned out on lat rows. I decided to substitute Isochain Romanian DL for Isometric Bridge Hold in the Finisher Phase.

Workout #3

I did a better job with the Tension phase than last week, at least by not forgetting to do the Lateral Push Down. My shoulder was still temperamental for T-Planks but there was slight improvement in execution at least.

Assisted Shrimp Squat strength sets: 6 6 6
Side Plank, feet suspended: 7s 7s 10s

Finisher Jump Lunge: just under 1 min. timed set
Finisher Straddle Side Plank: 20s hold

Biggest improvement was in the Assisted Shrimp Squat, with reps per set doubled. This might be a sign of carryover from the isometric Zercher Lunge when I was doing Burn Count. I reviewed the Red Delta Project videos on Side Plank. The GSC Month 1 Log PDF says to do Level 4 Side Plank (feet on suspension trainer). I think that's too difficult for me to do without irritating my shoulder. For next week, I'll regress to Level 3, which is Side Plank for reps.

I plan to drop the Strap Plank and Leg Raises from Workout #1. Mindful Mover has argued that free gains on abdominal strength can be had by progressing on their Big 5 exercise families (One-Arm Chinup, Handstand Pushup, Front Lever Row, Planche Pushup, Squat). I would like to test this theory, and this is a good enough excuse to save myself the time in working on Strap Planks and Leg Raises in favor of dedicating more energy towards Planche Pushup progression in Workout #1.

I thought about dropping the Side Plank from Workout #3 as well, but then came across claims that strengthening the Gluteus Medius (aka "glute med") will fix back and/or hip pain. According to this Prehab Guys article, Side Plank is one of the most effective exercises for the glute med, with the Side Plank with Hip Abduction variation scoring the highest MVIC. This variation is introduced in GSC Month 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment