Friday, October 01, 2021

Burn Count: Week 5

I completed the fifth week of Burn Count. Results:

Day A drills:

Romanian Deadlift Low Angle: 45s, 105lbs
Shoulder Press Low Angle: 34s, 40lbs
Drag Curl: 23s, 25lbs

Day B drills:

Zercher Lunge: 32s, 20lbs
Chest Press: 45s, 25lbs
Seated Row: 45s, 60lbs

Finally achieved a 45-second hold, at any load, in the Romanian Deadlift!

For my first rep of Shoulder Press, I did a hold longer than 45 seconds. I should have stopped at 45 sec. because I could not do more than 34s for the second rep.

I finally cracked the 25-sec. ceiling in the Zercher Lunge.

Good progress in the Chest Press. 25 lbs. was more than 70% of my tested 1-rep max load of 35.2 lbs. Next week I will be training at 30lbs. which is more than 85%.

Also good progress in the Seated Row, and still no repeat issue with the Golfer's Elbow.

Next week will be the sixth week of Burn Count. I feel like adding the shoulder external rotator band exercises 3x a week is making a difference. I may switch to Grind Style Calisthenics the week after that. I feel good enough to work on pushups again. The question is whether my elbow and shoulder will feel good enough for dynamic rowing exercise on my NOSSK suspension trainer or rings. I'll probably do a test set of rows with the NOSSK the day after my last session of Burn Count Week 6. If the rows don't feel good, I may switch to the Isochain 6x6 program instead.
NPR article on the benefits of weight training helps clear up some misconceptions, but leaves out bodyweight training, which can also deliver the same benefits, particularly exercises that can impose significant load on the body, such as handstand pushup and planche pushup variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment