Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Revisited GMB's L-Sit Tutorial, plus small update

Last night, I revisited GMB's L-Sit Tutorial.  As I've reported before, my inability to perform an L-Sit has held back my progress in both the Rings One and Parallettes One (aka "P1") program.  The L-Sit Tutorial claims that Parallettes One covers the L-Sit in detail, but all I recall seeing is practicing the Tuck Sit, then suddenly jumping  to the full L-Sit.  This could of course be user error in that I simply missed the part where P1does indeed cover the L-Sit in detail, or it could be that all the exercises in Phase One (for Level A or B) are supposed to prep you for the L-Sit in Phase 2.

In any case, I definitely missed this part of the tutorial:

Programming Your L-Sit Practice

I recommend training the L-Sit at least three days a week, either before your regular training session as part of your warm-up, or on its own.
  • Start with stretching the areas that you need to (if flexibility is an issue for you).
  • Then practice the progressions in the L-Sit video above, up to the most difficult level you can do, for 3-5 sets of 5 seconds at that level.
  • Next, move on to the supplementary strength exercises. Pick two for the upper body and two for the core and lower body. Rotate through the exercises until you hit the ones that are the most difficult for you, then focus on those to make your L-sit as solid as possible.
Oops!  You're supposed to practice the L-Sit progression AND the supplementary strength exercises! I was practicing the Hanging Knee Raise but not practicing the L-Sit progression itself.

I'm covered for the upper body part by simply practicing the Rings One routine at my current level and phase (Level A, Phase 2), because that routine includes Dips and the Pulling Prep when I do Chinups with Pulling Prep.   I've been missing the Front Scale practice, so I'm throwing that in as part of my quick warmup on days that I bike commute.

Practicing pistol squats on my Below The Rings days was working out well until last week.  I believe the combination of accumulated pain in my perineum due to bike saddle pressure and just fatigue from cycling has compromised my pistol squat performance.  My best performance was 3 sets of 6 reps.  Now its a struggle to do 4 in one set.  I'm hoping that taking today off from bike commuting - so I only have one bike commute for the whole week - will relieve my perineum pain and allow my legs and hips more recovery time.

I bruised my palms when my bike slid on a slick spot on a wet road almost 2 weeks ago.  So all my ring training sessions so far have been Below The Rings, as none of those moves put pressure on my palms.  I'll see if I can do an Above The Rings session tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment