Monday, June 13, 2016

Cycling saddle search

Bought a Specialized Phenom Expert saddle a while back after realizing the stock saddle on my Renegade adventure road bike was too narrow for my sit bones - basically no sit bone support.  Dunno why I never noticed when I was test riding the Renegade.

The Phenom gave me the needed sit bone support but I still felt too much pressure on the perineum.  I think it's because the Phenom is designed for an aggressive road riding position, whereas I tend to ride in a relaxed road riding position.  A nice info graphic showing four different riding positions can be seen here.

Thanks to the store's return policy I was able to swap out the Phenom for a Specialized Avatar Comp, which was one of the saddles recommended by the Spokes lady after she took my sit bone measurements and asked me about my riding style.  A quick test ride in the parking lot afterwards seemed to indicate less pressure on the pubic bone arch/perineum, and a more "in the hammock" kind of feel.

The real test will be on my next full commute ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment