Sunday, May 10, 2015

Learned how to ride a bike today

I finally learned how to ride a bike today.  I took a "how to ride a bike" class for adults the 2nd time and this time I was able to pedal on a bike by myself, in the direction I want to go, without having to stop or put my foot on the ground.  The first timeI took a "how to" class, I learned how to balance by gliding down a hill without pedals - so basically gravity was moving me forward instead of pedals.  Then they wanted me glide down the hill the slalom down the hill without pedals, to show I can control my steering.  I kept running over cones or off the course.

This second time, there wasn't much of a hill so they made us push off the ground to generate momentum, and try to balance while gliding without pedals.  Because of my experience from the previous class, I was able to balance more quickly than the others.  Then the lead instructor put one pedal on the right side, to use for creating momentum instead of just pushing the ground with my feet.  That was tricky at first because the pedal made me move to the right.  But I learned how to make it move me forward instead, thus earning the 2nd pedal.  After some pedaling with both feet, the instructors let me join the more "advanced" students to work on bonus skills:  How to turn, use the brakes, signal, and slalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment