Thursday, April 15, 2010

New workout routine

I found the monkey bar set near our office building. I had no idea it was there, despite months of working in that building.

My low back/hip has recovered nicely, but is still not ready for weight training. The Low Back/Sacrum Practice from Gary Kraftsow's DVD has helped, after about 4 months of practice 3-5 times a week. My shoulders are still a bit touchy but better off than my back.

As the experts say, one's workouts would be more effective if one has a goal in mind. So I have decided to resume pursuit of the skills described in Christopher Sommer's article Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning. None of the exercises in this new routine bother my shoulders nor my back.

Morning Workout

Joint Mobility (Intu-Flow program from Rmax)
Four Corner Balance Drill (introduced in the Intu-Flow DVDs).
Frog Stand Practice (as described in Sommer's article)
Low Back/Sacrum Viniyoga Practice

Day Workout (during breaks at work)
Pullups w/supinated (palms facing me) grip
1-leg squat (not directly related to the gymnastic goals, but done to build leg strength)

So far, I can do 3 pullups comfortably. Not great, but that's why I'm doing them. My 1-legged squats are weak, so I just do 1 rep per leg. I do 4-5 sets of the Day Workout during a typical work day.

I'll tweak this routine over time. The first thing would be to find the yoga compensatory flows for pullups that are in Scott Sonnon's 4x7 DVD.

Given my current weak state, reaching my goals will take quite a while. But I really enjoy going outside to do the pullups, especially when the weather is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment