Friday, July 23, 2021

Wildman Reconditioning Program (WRP) Week 1

After the Monday session of Isochain Iron Man program, I decided to switch to the heavy club program as previously described. Mark Wildman does not seem to name the programs that he designs so I'll just call this one "Wildman Reconditiong Program" because the program is intended for deconditioned individuals, as well as those who are overweight, and/or coming off of injury. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Iron Man program. I tried it because I was curious about how it would feel to train like that, and coming off of injury, I knew my body would benefit from endurance-focused training. I observed modest improvement in the hold times in the Shoulder Press and Zercher Squat, as well as the average force numbers. The reason I decided to switch programs is I missed dynamic exercise and wanted to do more of that.

For the Wednesday session, I did 5 reps of each of the 3 exercises, per side with a 15 lb. Clubbell. Wildman calls all Clubbbells "heavy clubs" - even those that are 15 lbs. or lighter. Using the GMB performance scale, I scored Ease=Challenging, Quality=Rough. The following day, I didn't feel any DOMS in my upper back. The back of my neck though was sore.

So for Friday, I did 3 reps per set. I still scored Rough Quality, but the Ease was down to Solid. I'll stick to 3 reps per set until I get to 10 sets.

For my Tuesday and Thursday exercise sessions, I did GMB Elements sessions 7 and 8, 30 min. each. When I work up to 10 or more sets of 5 reps in WRP, I'll need to make sure I don't overtrain via my Elements sessions. I may cut down to 15-min. Elements sessions.

If I finish GMB Elements before I reach the goal of 20 sets of 5 in WRP, I may try Red Delta Project Micro Workouts on the in-between exercise days. Whatever routine I choose for those in-between days should not interfere with recovery from my WRP days. I'll probably try one of the leg-focused ones, because while I can feel WRP working my feet, it's not particularly taxing on the legs. Another type of Micro Workout I may try is a chest-focused one, since WRP doesn't seem to hit the chest hard either, and any improvement in chest strength and conditioning should beneficial when I get around to focusing on horizontal pressing again.

This is the chest Micro Workout that I'll probably try

No comments:

Post a Comment