Friday, March 17, 2017

Today's Training

This was not a pure Rings One workout.  It’s more of a preparatory workout for training on the pullup bars and parallel bars outdoors, inspired quite a bit by Al Kavadlo's book Raising The Bar.  The front lever is actually part of Rings Two, not Rings One, but after finding I could do the tuck version without any issues on the pullup bar and the rings, I decided to work on the progression.  Maybe I got the ab strength for the tuck front lever from training for the L-Sit, plus other training on the rings and P-Barz.

After a couple of years of training and struggling with the L-Sit progression, I didn’t expect to be able to do a hanging straight leg raise up to waist height.  Maybe it’s just easier to do this than an L-Sit.  I’ll practice this movement until I can get my feet to touch the bar.  Right now I can raise my feet to just above waist height.

Skin The Cat - 6 reps. Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid. Kept the rings parallel for a little extra protection for the vulnerable shoulder.

Tuck Front Lever Row - 7 reps. Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid.

Chin-Ups - 6 reps. Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid.

Hanging Leg Raise- 7 reps Quality: Smooth. Ease: Solid

This is pretty much the pulling routine I will practice on the outdoor equipment - the Tuck Front Lever Row on parallel bars and the rest on pullup bars.  The Skin The Cat will work the abs a bit more on the bar compared to the rings, because it pretty much includes a hanging knee raise.  I will start the routine with Back Lever progression practice.  I can hold the beginner’s Tuck Back Lever on the rings - we’ll see how long I can hold it on the bar.  I’ll probably start working on moving the knees back a bit, to straighten the back a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment