Monday, February 08, 2021

Isochain Modified Promethean Mark II - Day 1

As planned, I ran the 1-Rep Max Protocol for the Day 1 drills for my Modified Promethean Mark II program. These are the results in pounds:

High-angle Deadlift: 265, Single-attempt max: 287.2
Medium-Angle Reverse Curl: 38, Single-attempt max: 39
High-angle Shoulder Press: 49, Single-attempt max: 50.2

The numbers for Reverse Curl was what I expected.  My Shoulder Press tested about 10 lbs. higher than I anticipated, based on my performance at the low angle in the previous program, and what I recall of struggling at the high angle position.  

I'm finding that the Shoulder Press at the higher angle is more optimal with my hands a little further apart than they were for the low angle.  There's a sweet spot where I can generate the most force, when I protract the scapula.  If the hands are closer together than that sweet spot, the elbows start to want to flare out and the wrists start feeling awkward.  If the hands are further apart, there is a dropoff in force production and scapula protraction gets less effective for preventing shoulder discomfort.

The biggest surprise was the Deadlift.  Before I switched from Deadlift to Hack Lift, the highest reading I recall seeing was around 180 lbs.  I thought that Hack Lift would hit enough of the same areas in my posterior chain enough to see improvement in the Deadift, but I didn't anticipate this kind of jump.

An article that hinted at carryover from Hack Lift to Deadlift:

Hack Lift Pros and Cons


No comments:

Post a Comment