Thursday, February 11, 2021

Isochain Modified Promethean Mark II - Day 2

As planned, I ran the 1-Rep Max Protocol for the Day 2 drills for my Modified Promethean Mark II program. These are the results in pounds:

High-angle Zercher Squat: 184.5, Single-attempt max: 194.2
Medium-Angle Bent Row: 127.3, Single-attempt max: 131.6
Chest Press: 36.1, Single-attempt max: 37.4

Unlike the Day 1 drills, I have not practiced these drills before so I had no expectations for the numbers.   My first max attempt on the Zercher Squat was a bit tentative because I wasn't fully confident that my back would hold up, despite stacking the odds in my favor by going for the high angle, ensuring that my torso was upright, and tucking my butt to the rear.  I applied a bit more force with each successive attempt. Perhaps I could have cracked 200 lbs. if I applied as much force as I did on my last Deadlift attempt yesterday but I didn't want to take the chance.  My back felt fine during all three Zercher Squat attempts but it was the lack of familiarity that made me cautious.  I viewed today's test more as a means of setting my starting target load values for this program, than a test of my true strength.

It will take a while to develop good technique for Chest Press.  The manual says the first trick is to set the bar at a good height, about the level of the sternum, so that the pectorals can be engaged more than the shoulders.  Next is to get the bar as close as possible to the chest.  Then, tense the pecs to ensure they're activated and use them to push the bar both up and outward, so that it feels like the bottom of a bench press.  I found a wide grip helps activate the pecs.  I've accepted that my performance in this drill will be weak until I get the technique down.


No comments:

Post a Comment