Friday, February 26, 2021

Isochain Modified Promethean Mark II - Week 3

For the first session, I really focused on performing the Reverse Curl and Deadlift with a strong grip.  The golfer's elbow is unforgiving when I let my grip slip in the Deadlift.  I've no doubt this affects my Deadlift performance but I'd rather get by with less than maximal effort in that drill if I can avoid aggravating the golfer's elbow.  My Reverse Curl .

I wanted to see if my elbow could handle Front Lever and pullup training, so I set up my nice wooden rings.  Front Lever is doable with strict attention to keeping the grip pronated. I cannot allow my palms to face each other. Pullups at full bodyweight load is problematic, even with pronated grip. Pullups with feet on the floor to reduce the load is doable. While I want to try one of the mixed Isochain and bodyweight training programs from the manual, I haven't decided yet on whether to go with Option A which is all-isometric, or Option C which is mostly isometric but also incorporates one dynamic exercise each training day.

The results for this week:

Shoulder Press (high angle) - Finished with target load of 30 lbs, with max reading of 38.8.  I'll do one more session at this target load because I felt the effort going by GMB's Ease Scale, was still challenging.

Reverse Curl (medium angle) - Finished with target load of 25 lbs. Progress appears to be stalled from a numbers perspective with the max was still in the low 30.  On the other hand, my grip feels stronger.   What frustrates me about the Reverse Curl is the force readings are dependent on the angle of the bar with respect to the chain, because the force sensors are inside the bar.  The force readings for all the Isochain exercises depend on the bar to chain angle, but the Reverse Curl is particularly unforgiving.  I'll try dropping the target load to 20 lbs next week.

Deadift (high angle) - Finished with target load of 150 lbs, with max reading of 199.2.  The max reading is down quite a bit due to only applying as much force as my grip can handle.  If my hand starts to open up, my elbow will hurt, so I'm only applying as much pressure as I can while still maintaining a tight squeeze on the bar.

Chest Press - Finished with target load of 25 lbs, with max reading of 39.2.  This is an improvement over last week, but my technique is not consistent so I will do one more session with the 25lb. target load.

Bent Row (medium angle) - Finished with target load of 92 lbs, with max reading of 92.4. As with the deadlift, I only apply as much pressure as I can while still maintaining a tight squeeze on the bar..

Zercher Squat (high angle) - Finished with target load of 130 lbs, with max reading of 183.4.   I need to work on performing this drill with the arms a little wider apart so that the shoulders are less likely to be pulled forward.  Otherwise, progress remains steady.

I have some other thoughts on Golfer's Elbow and alternatives to Deadlift, which will be addressed in separate posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment