Sunday, June 24, 2018

Hanging to relieve Shoulder Pain

The Integral Strength test session went well, except for the reverse chin-ups.  I was able to do them, but I've had a longstanding issue with some kind of aching in the left shoulder when I am in a dead hang, either to start a pullup/chinup, or lowering myself from one.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that simply hanging from a bar might actually be good for shoulder pain relief.  Searching the web eventually turned up Dr. Kirsch:


Unfortunately the above video doesn't show the hanging exercise.  I did find this one from Z-Health:


I dug up my door pullup bar and started doing some short sessions - a few seconds at a time - of hanging from them with palms facing forward, no thumbs, and my feet on the ground to decrease the intensity a bit.  A promised bonus benefit is spinal decompression.

No comments:

Post a Comment