Monday, April 06, 2015

Rings One, Level A, Phase 2: Week 2 Report

Progress on the Above The Rings exercises:

Dips - No change - 5 reps/set.

Assisted Tuck to Tuck Shoulder Stand - Some improvement in technique.  Improved from 3 reps/set to 4.  Went back to doing this 2nd after Dips.

L-Sit Hold - Same as start of the week.  I can extend one leg at a time, but not both, and I can't straighten my extended leg yet.  Hopefully the practice of the pistol squat and the Front Scale will eventually deliver the necessary quad and hip flexor strength to straighten that leg.

Progress on the Below The Rings exercises:

Pull-ups - No change - still 6 reps/set.

Inverted Tuck Roll Chin-Up - Improved to 4 reps/set.  Tighter tuck (per video instructions) did not seem to make a difference, but I'll keep practicing the tuck with the toes pointed away from my head, shins parallel to torso, etc.

Skin The Cat - I believe I am now lowering my body into the German Hang at the maximum range of motion allowed without turning my thumbs out.  It's 4 reps/set in this range, with grip endurance being the limiting factor.  I still did a "warmup rep" to start my first set.  The video instruction says to try the thumbs out as soon as possible, to extend the range of motion a bit more, so I will try that on my next Below the Rings session.

Tomorrow I'll do 3 sets of 2 assisted pistol squats again, as well as 3 front scales - between the warmup and cool down routines, and see how it goes.  One new wrinkle I'll throw in is some basic front kicks with the toes pointed (as in the L-Sit) after leg/hip stretches.  I tried some front kicks yesterday and notice I was able to get each leg into the L-Sit angle (90 degrees) so the flexibility is there.


No comments:

Post a Comment