Thursday, June 09, 2005

Testosterone Nation - 10 Strength Training Tips

Jack Reape's 10 Strength Training Tips

I am neither a bodybuilder nor a powerlifter, but Reape gives consistently good training advice. Especially pertinent to all trainees, whether one is a powerlifter, gymnast, etc. is the section on volume, intensity, and cycling. The tips about abs and shrugs are also good.

An aside on ab training:

Because I aspire to gymnastic type bodyweight feats, my ab training is different from a powerlifter's, which relies more on equipment. The Spinal Rock (presented in Body-Flow, Be Breathed, which is almost entirely devoted to the Spinal Rock and its variations, plus easier "performance breathing" exercises, and Five Minute Miracle, which also includes The Five Tibetans) has been my primary ab exercise, because my lower back at present has not allowed me to use my Power Wheel. Gymnastics ab training includes the Planche and Front Lever progressions described in Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning. While the Planche and Front Lever do not target the abs specifically, Coach Sommer claims the practice of these exercises will develop tremendous ab strength. As noted on my June 06 post, at least one trainee has reported unexpected ab strength gains from doing just these two exercises. There are many other gymnastic exercises that work the abs, but the practice of these two may make the other exercises redundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment