Wednesday, June 15, 2005

New Blog link added - Acoustics, Health & Sufism

Read about the Acoustics, Health & Sufism blog on the Traceless Warrior blog that I follow. It's written by a fellow musician who is also studying Middle Eastern music, so adding the link to his blog was a natural. I have also heard that there is a relationship between Sufism and Persian classical music. Whether this is like the relationship between Hinduism and Hindustani (Northern Indian) classical music, in which music and religion is said to be indistinguishable, I do not know at present.

2 comments:

  1. There are some pretty strong connections between Sufism and Persian classical music.

    One example would be my namesake the original Mushtaq Ali Shah who was a great setar player and a great Sufi (and was the one who added the forth string to the instrument)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I will have to remember to ask my teacher about this relationship betwen Sufism and Persian classical music at some point, if he hasn't already been subtly working it into our lessons.

    ReplyDelete