Thursday, June 02, 2005

Hypothesis: How Breakdancers Develop Their Bodyweight Strength

I've begun working in my recent Body-Flow practice on eccentric strength. This is the type of strength used to slow down a load, such as your own bodyweight or an implement such as a dumbell. Body-Flow biomechanical exercises that emphasize eccentric strength include Quad Switches, Quad Hops, Springing Tripods, and Backward Spinal Waves. Yet another reason Scott Sonnon favors Body-Flow training prior to taking up Clubbells is that great emphasis in the Clubbell lifts is placed on slowing down the Clubbell so you don't hurt yourself and are set up for the next movement.

I have read some claims that breakdancers do no exercise other than dance. I am more inclined to believe them now. Check out the Dive (sorry, Internet Explorer only) for example. Impressive air time aside, note how they end up practically doing the negative portion of a planche pushup, thus training the eccentric strength for the planche pushup. There are lots of moves in breakdance that similarly train eccentric strength.

I'm sure the fact that most of them are skinny, and thus have good strength to bodyweight ratios, helps a lot. Still, this is my hypothesis: Training eccentric strength through frequent practice of moves like the Dive will make you strong. Heck, I could be proven wrong, but in the meantime, I intend to have a lot of fun working the Backward Spinal Wave and related moves such as the Dive and Bronco (yes, also Internet Explorer only).

No comments:

Post a Comment