Monday, September 07, 2026

Iron Cardio planning

I've settled on Iron Cardio as the program to do until I'm ready to do The Giant 1.0 with single 20kg kettlebell. The prerequisite to do The Giant 1.0 with my 20kg KB is to be able to clean+press the KB for 10 reps. My current 20kg KB c+p rep max is 2, so it looks like I'll be doing Iron Cardio for a while. There are other training options out there. Maybe one of those options would be a faster journey to 10 reps of 20kg KB c+p. That said, I like Iron Cardio because of the numerous options for customizing workouts, like doing only the Classic sequence, or Classic + Half Snatch, or doing Traveling 2s; as well as a bunch of parameters like training for time or for volume, training time if going for time, target number of sets if going for volume, and so on and so forth. Another goal Iron Cardio was designed to achieve, besides strength, is improved general endurance, which should also help when I do The Giant 1.0.

Today I did a 15-minute Iron Cardio session. I did 14 sets of the Classic sequence of 1 clean, 1 press, and 1 single front squat. After the 8th or 10th set, I felt like I was expending more effort on each press. Thus, I think a Iron Cardio Classic session for 10 min. rather than 15 would be suitable for the easy day; if I go with a easy-hard-medium scheme.

For my hard day, I'm thinking of adding a Half Snatch. A Half Snatch is also a Half Press, with the 2nd half of the movement being the negative phase of a Press.

Thus for my first full week of Iron Cardio I plan to do these sessions:
  • Monday - easy - Classic - 10 min. Followed by KB waiter walks, then KB swings.
  • Wednesday - hard - Classic + Half Snatch - 10 min. Warm up with KB clean, KB clean to 90 degree elbow position, KB clean to higher position, etc until snatch is achieved; lowering to rack hold each time.
  • Friday - medium - Classic 15 min. Followed by KB waiter walks, then KB swings.
For week 2, I plan to repeat the week 1 routine, except with 5 min. added to each Iron Cardio session.

The purpose of the waiter walks is to continue improving shoulder stability as well as overhead lockout technique for press and snatch. The purpose of the 1-arm swing is to help improve performamce in the KB clean and snatch. Also, the Iron Cardio manual recommends practicing swings on occasion

The intention of these first 2 weeks is to ramp up my strength and conditioning. I have some idea of what to do for Week 3, but I'll see how Weeks 1 and 2 go. If I average 1 set of Classic per minute during the first 2 weeks, I'll swap in a Traveling 2s day to my routine starting Week 3. Traveling 2s would be a good way to acclimate to doing 2 consecutve presses in one set, as I'd only have to do that once every 3 sets. Thus it'd be a good progression towards increasing my 20kg press rep max from 2 to at least 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment