Friday, September 01, 2023

Thoughts on Chest Expander video by Alex Leonidas

After my first shoulder injury, I went to physical therapy for as long as my medical insurance would allow, which I recall was roughly a month. Afterwards, I was on my own to figure out exercise programming to bridge the gap between rehab and regular strength training with the shoulder. Part of the answer was to get a Lifeline Chest Expander, then choose exercises utilizing it. I chose some exercises that were published in a Reg Park book of chest expander exercises. Chest expander training did bridge the gap as I had hoped, then I transitioned to ring calisthenics.

I got so into ring and parallette training that I gradually forgot about the chest expander. Years and couple of repeat shoulder injuries later, I randomly found some chest expander videos on Youtube featuring steel-spring chest expanders.

I've experienced the effectiveness of 2-4 second eccentric exercise for relieving elbow tendonitis. Apparently this type of exercise might work for tendons in general, including those that are part of my repeatedly injured shoulder. Every chest expander exercise has a decent eccentric load because it can be dangerous to suddenly relax and/or let go after completing the concentric movement.
Another aspect of chest expander training that I appreciate is how it can be used to target the rear deltoids and upper back for improved shoulder stability.

Here is one of Alex Leonidas's videos on steel-string chest expanders. It's interesting because his perspective is informed by several months' worth of personal experience training with a steel-spring chest expander, as well as his experience with contemporary bodybuilding methods. He is not just repeating what was published in an old chest expander book.


These are the exercises he likes:
  • Vertical Pull Apart w/ Underhand Grip - thickness builder, developers upper traps and rear delts
  • Vertical Pull Apart w/ Overhand Grip - targets same muscles as above, with more triceps. Suitable as a drop set after the above.
  • Horizontal Pull Apart - Rear delts and great for posture
  • Archer Pull - targets small muscles of upper back, injury prevention and relief for achy shoulders.
  • Curl - of course targets bicesp
  • Violin Extension - targets triceps long head
  • Sideways Extension - his favorite triceps drill
  • Back Press - Compound pressing exercise, great for behind-the-neck mobility
  • Overhead Press - Shoulder press alternative that hits the triceps harder

Programming Tips:
  • 5-10 rep range. Move up a spring after doing 12 reps for all sets, or 15 for one set
  • 2 exercises per targeted muscle.
  • 4-6 total sets per workout
  • One set per exercise might be enough, especially when doing drop sets - either dropping a spring or the mechanical drop set approach
  • If not doing drop sets, 2 regular sets will be enough
I tried most of the above exercises - the one exception being Sideways Extension as it just didn't feel comfortable. I settled on Overhead Press, Curl, Violin Extension, Reverse Curl, and the Pull Apart variations as my exercises of choice. I do like the Archer Pull, but my left shoulder feels a little uncomfortable when I hold my left arm out to the side while my right arm does the work. It will probably feel more comfortable after I've added a little more strength and muscle to my rear delts and upper back. I'll probably alternate between Back Press and Overhead Press as the compound pressing exercise of choice

No comments:

Post a Comment