Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Modified Integral Strength: Week 3 start

Began the week with more modifications to the program:

1. Do at least one session with an easier leg exercise than the Shrimp Squat series
2. Replace Bridge Press-Up series with a variation that won't aggravate last week's neck injury.

I can do pistol squats for a few reps, but my knee gets sore for several days afterwards, because of the spine-pelvis misalignment that the physical therapist found during my PT time for the low back.  The Shrimp Squat series seems kinder to the knee, but I figured I'd try an easier leg exercise for at least a couple of sessions to see if I could condition the legs while giving the knee more of a rest.

For Monday, the replacement leg exercise was the classic bodyweight deep squat.  Part of the PCC Century Test to earn a PCC Instructor certification is 40 deep squats.  I am not even close to qualifying to be a PCC Instructor, but I wanted to see if I could do 40 squats.  By rep #30, my quads had a good burn going, but I did make 40 reps, with more left in the tank.  I stopped after rep #40, though, because I didn't see the point of continuing. 

For this morning's session, the replacement leg exercise was the the split squat, which is just a stationary lunge.  I did about 20 per side easily, so for the next circuit, I moved up to the walking lunge, which was also easily done.  I did 15 reps per side then decided to move on.

The replacement for the Bridge Press-Up was the Candlestick Bridge, which is a Shoulder Bridge with one leg extended upwards.  It proved to be safe for my neck because it never leaves the floor.  With one leg working against the floor and the other in the air, it's just challenging enough to continue strengthening the lower back, glute, and hamstring until ny neck is healthy enough for the Bridge Press-Up again.

As for the other exercises, I'm closing in on double digits in the Knee Pushup.  The 2 weeks working on Inverted Leg Raise resulted in improved performance in the Inverted Press (A-Frame variation) - where before lowering the head to the floor and pushing back up was hard, now I'm working in the 5-7 rep range.  In the L-Sit series, the basic straight-leg hold (legs straight but not high enough to qualify for true L-Sit), is getting more stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment