Friday, August 17, 2018

Modified Integral Strength: End of Week 2

The neck was starting to feel pretty good this morning, after regular practice of the GMB Neck Mobility exercises.

Then I started dong Bridge Press-Ups and the soreness in the back of the neck returned again with a vengeance.  I should have stopped as soon as I felt the pain intensify in the neck.  I guess I didn't stop immediately because I thought I was just coordinating something wrong.  I should have recalled the section of the Convict Conditioning 2 book which stated that the neck gets a good workout from working on the normal Bridge, without any work on the "Wrestler's Bridge" - the variation of the Bridge which is done with the top of the head on the ground instead of the hands.  So I'll have to lay off with my Bridge training for the time being, in addition to giving up pursuit of the Inverted Leg Press.

On the bright side, I gained enough strength from this brief pursuit of the Inverted Leg Raise to lower by head all the way to the floor, and do a Inverted Press back up into the A-Frame position.  So having to switch out the Inverted Leg Raise series in favor of the Inverted Press series isn't all bad.  I'll wait until I've worked towards the legs-elevated step of the Inverted Press progression before I try the Inverted Leg Raise series again.  By the time I reach that step, the neck should have healed, barring some other accident.

Losing the Bridge piece of the Trifecta for cooldown is a bummer - I don't really have a replacement "active stretch" - by Convict Conditioning standards - but for stretching out the front of the body, I have some options.  There's the Kneeling Lunge for the hip flexors and quads.  There's also the Cobra pose which should stretch out the same areas stretched by the Bridge, except without any contraction on the back side, as the standard instruction is to relax everything on the backside, especially the glutes.  The Muay Thai mobility routine may also be more than adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment