Tuesday, June 30, 2015

First ever commute by bicycle

Less than ideal start on Huntington Ave heading east - it was trash collection day and the garbage truck made a right turn onto Huntington Ave. in front of me, which was pointless because the truck immediately stopped for its guys to pick up the garbage bins. If the truck was in a hurry to get out of the neighborhood I would have understood. I couldn't pass the truck because there were cars on the left lane. I had to go on the sidewalk to get around the truck. I later submitted a complaint to Fairfax County via the online form.

Met up a with a colleague on the MVT who graciously showed me his route to work after crossing the George Mason/14th St pedestrian bridge.  He gave me a crash course in city cycling techniques: How to take advantage of red lights to get a jump on motorist traffic, how to take advantage of legal lane-splitting, etc.

Aside from the garbage truck and some scary moments riding with car traffic on N. Capitol St, I enjoyed my first commute by bike to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment