Monday, July 27, 2026

Training Week of 7/20

7/20
HSPU Mini Course Practice A - Attempted to extend both legs simultaneously, once, in headstand. Also made one attempt to transition out of headstand into crow pose but quickly tipped back into squat. Otherwise I worked at the 2nd progression in StrongFirst's headstand progression.

HSPU Mini Course Play - 7 pike push up singles with starting lean of shoulders about 6" ahead of wrists. My effort level was about 7 out of 10. I got my feet to drag forward, pushing out of the bottom of the movment. Maybe I contract my abs harder on the concentric than on the eccentric?

Hamstring mobilty circuit - 3 rounds:
  1. Good morning - 8 reps
  2. Elephant walk - 10 reps
  3. Straddle side bend w/ 4kg plate on stack of 4 puzzle mat tiles - 7 reps w/ 10s hold on last rep


7/21
Chest expander workout:

Overhand Vertical Pullapart - 1 set - 5 springs

Overhand Vertical Pullapart - backoff set - 4 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - 1 set - 4 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - backoff set - 3 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - 1 set - 2 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - mechanical drop set - 2 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - back off set - 1 spring

Sideway Tricep Extension - work set - 5 springs

Sideway Tricep Extension - back off set - 4 springs

Violin Tricep Extension - work set - 3 springs - Normally I work up to a 15-rep set before moving up a spring, but when Alex Leonidas created this workout, his idea for violin extensions was to do them as a finisher for the triceps after sideway extensions, one spring down from however many springs were used for the back off set of sideway extendions

Dr. Keith Baar style isometric tendon training circuit - 3 rounds
  • Left hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - press KB until shoulder starts to feel irritated, then hold
  • Right hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - press KB to same position as left side, then hold. Was going to press to where the wrist starts feeling irritated, then adjust to the border of the irritation, but the wrist felt fine throughout the entire pressing movement.
  • Chin up hold with elbows closer to 90 degrees.
  • ATG split squat
  • ATG split squat other side
7/22
Dr. Baar tendon circuit - 3 rounds:
  • Left hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - press KB until shoulder starts to feel irritated, then hold
  • Right hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - press KB to same position as left side, then hold. Was going to press to where the wrist starts feeling irritated, then adjust to the border of the irritation, but the wrist felt fine throughout the entire pressing movement.
  • Chin up hold with elbows around 90 degrees - it's not exactly easy as pie but I've progressed from struggling to hold this position more than 10 seconds to being able to hold 30 seconds with effort.
  • ATG split squat
  • ATG split squat other side
7/23
HSPU Mini Course Practice A - Continued practicing headstand at 2nd progression. Balance is much improved compared to 7/20. I reached the balance point - the point that the body suddenly feels light - without tipping past it. I practice near a wall in case I tip over, in which case the wall would catch my feet and prevent me from falling further. Today my feet didn't touch the wall even once.

HSPU Mini Course Push - I found a Sondre Berg video in which Sondre suggests using rings or suspension trainer for pike push ups after you've gained the strength to elevate your feet. Last week I started doing my Push sessions with feet elevated one stairstep. I decided to try Sondre's idea with my NOSSK suspension trainers set to the same height (one stairstep). However at that height my feet are not horizontal enough to be supported by the NOSSK foot straps. My feet slid right through the straps. So I had to go back to the stairs for my Push session. I did 7 sets of 3 pike push ups for a total of 21. There was a considerable degradation of form on the 7th set so I decided to end the session after that set. I did 32 total reps the previous week but I was allowing myself to bend my knees more and transfer weight back to my feet to make the exercise easier for myself. Today I maintained constant tension in the abs to keep my feet pulled towards my hands. I kept my butt in the air and abs engaged on the concentric movement, more consistently except on the last et.

7/24
Chest expander workout:

Overhand Vertical Pullapart - 1 set - 5 springs

Overhand Vertical Pullapart - backoff set - 4 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - 1 set - 4 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - backoff set - 3 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - 1 set - 2 springs

Underhand Vertical Pullapart - mechanical drop set - 2 springs

Horizontal Pullapart - back off set - 1 spring

Sideway Tricep Extension - work set - 5 springs

Sideway Tricep Extension - back off set - 4 springs

Violin Tricep Extension - work set - 3 springs

Dr. Baar tendon circuit - 3 rounds
  • Left hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - arm parallel to floor and forearm 90 degrees to arm - just trying to hit shoulder tendons from different angle.
  • Right hand 12kg kettlebell press hold - press KB to same position as left side, then hold.
  • Chin up hold with elbows around 90 degrees - was able to hold an extra 5 seconds after the 30-sec. timer beeped.
  • ATG split squat
  • ATG split squat other side

No comments:

Post a Comment