Sunday, April 11, 2021

Isochain Promethean Mark I - Week 1

This week marked the start of my latest Isochain program, Promethean Mark I. I'm not going to say "modified" any more just because the exercise selection is a little different than what is described in the book The Ultimate Isometrics Manual, because other than the exercise selection, I am following the protocol specific to this program. For my first session, I measured my 1-rep max for each of the three drills, using the 1-Rep Max protocol from the manual, which is basically some warmup sets, followed by 3 max attempts and taking the average of the 3 force readings. The results for this week:

Shoulder Press (medium angle) - Started with 1-Rep Max score of 48.8 lbs. Finished with a target load of 25 lbs, with max reading of 46.8. I think that not trying to stand all the way up, so that I'm sitting/squatting just a tiny bit, makes it easier to connect my feet to my hands, and thus improve stability of the chain during training. I think this will also allow me to apply whole body power to this drill. We shall see.

Bent Row (medium angle) - Realized that what I thought was medium angle for this drill in the previous program was actually the low angle already. This was because at the start of the previous program, my torso was closer to parallel to the floor. After changing my body positioning to put my torso at more of a diagonal angle, the arms were lengthened and thus I was actually working at the low angle.  Now, I'm working with the bar much closer to the middle of the rowing motion.  Started with 1-Rep Max score of 152.8 lbs. Finished with target load of 80 lbs. with max of 158.

Zercher Squat (low angle) - Started with 1-Rep Max score of 114.4 lbs. I think part of the reason I'm weaker at this angle is just squatting in this position is taxing for my quads, without even trying to apply force.   Finished with target load of 60 lbs, with max reading of 75.2.

I think this is a good start for this latest program. I'm already getting close to, or beating my 1-rep max scores in the Shoulder Press and Bent Row. I was a little tired from being awakened early on the day I took my 1-Rep Max measurements, which made the scores lower than they might have been if I had better rest beforehand. However, the purpose of thee scores is just to set the starting target loads for work sets and the warmup sets in Promethean, as well as establish metrics than can be used for calculating strength improvement by the end of the program. My elbow is feeling better as well. I'm still doing 15-sec. finger holds on the Isochain at a 70lb load, after the regular training session. I also still do the supline thoracic windmill as part of warmups and mobility work and wrist rotations with the hammer. I don't do the wrist curls with the bag of canned food anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment