Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A simple pulse test to monitor recovery - by Steve Maxwell

On the Dragondoor forum, noted BJJ and fitness expert Steve Maxwell offered this nugget:

Each morning for two weeks, take your pulse in bed upon waking. I use a hand held moniter that reads my pulse form my finger tips. I find that it is more accurate than counting from palpating my carotid artery. If you do use a manuel reading, take it for at least thirty seconds to reduce errors. Take three readings. At the end of the two weeks, you have your average pulse reading. Each morning, take a reading. If your pulse is more than 4 beats above your average, it means that you are not completely recovered and should take an easy workout that day. If the pulse is more than 4 beats above, rest completely.

This URL to his post is http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/402357%5C

No comments:

Post a Comment